The following recipe for yummy sesame cookie-crackers is essentially the recipe for Super Sesame Bars given by Brigitte Mars in Rawsome!: Maximizing Health, Energy, and Culinary Delight With the Raw Foods Diet. I’ve just varied things a little. So here we go!
- Blender or Coffee Grinder to ground the whole flax seeds
- Food Dehydrator
- Cookie-cutter round
- 1 cup soaked dates
- 2 cups sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
- Grind the flax seeds in the blender or coffee grinder
- Put the ground flax seeds in a large bowl
- Blend the soaked dates well. Add some of the soak water to help facilitate the blending if necessary.
- Add the blended dates to the bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until well combined
- Spoon the mixture onto dehydrator sheets using the cookie cutter round to shape the cracker-cookies. In the cookie cutter round, spread the mixture out until relatively thin (see the photograph).
- Dehydrate for 8 hours, then continue drying on a regular dehydrator tray until desired crispiness is reached.
Note that the thinner you spread out the mixture in the cookie cutter round, the less dehydrating time you’ll need (which is good). They should be pretty crispy — more cracker-like than cookie-like. Though I liked the results of the above recipe, I felt that it could use a little something, though I’m not sure what. Suggestions? Maybe some chopped sun-dried raisins?
Photographs Copyright Geoff Peters – used with permission.